A landmark Powys building that previously housed a hardware retailer could be converted into a mixed-use development with a recording studio, café and flexible office space among other amenities if plans are approved.
The Bradleys Building and warehouse in Llandrindod Wells, built in 1903, previously housed EM Bradley and Sons, a hardware retailer.
However the building has been disused since March 2015.
The plans for the building, also known as Llanfair House, have been submitted by Twin Peaks Ltd. The application’s design and access statement reads: “The Bradley’s Building stands on the South West end of Middleton Street, bordered by Tudor Lane at the back and south side. Falling within the Llandrindod Wells Conservation Area, its striking façade denotes the transition from the Victorian to the Edwardian high street and as such its construction is a hybrid of old and new technology”The red brick warehouse building at the back was originally conceived as artisan workspace, being a smithy on the ground floor, a cabinet makers on the first floor and a painters workshop on the top floor.
The large ground floor steel sliding yard door and Crittall windows of the ground floor are functional and industrial.
“From its first inception the building was conceived to house a mixture of retail space and artisan studios, and this proposal intends to re-establish both the commercial and creative legacy of the building.”After many years of neglect the intention is to re-invigorate this beautiful building with a collection of businesses that will enhance, employ and stimulate the high street.
“With an established background in the creative industries within Wales, the applicants intend to create an Arts and Music hub with a café/restaurant, flexible work spaces and some residential accommodation, providing both employment and community engagement, and adding to Llandrindod’s tourist attractions.” Powys County Council will decide on the project in due course.