A little more than a year after the Beauty Shoppe brought its local, hospitality-inflected approach to coworking to downtown for the first time, the operator is shifting to make the location within the Pitt Building a members-only social club.
Led by the building owner, also an investor in the Beauty Shoppe, the 12,000-square-foot coworking space is slated to become the Americus Club, a social and event space in the building at corner of Smithfield Street and the Boulevard of the Allies.
Owned by New York-based Hippeus Capital and Feenix Venture Partners, the building’s new use will play on the building’s past.
Built in 1918 in a Georgian-Federal style, the Pitt Building was originally the home of the Americus Republican Club of Pittsburgh, a major social institution of its time, according to an announcement.
Michael Blum, The Pitt Building’s owner and an investor in the Beauty Shoppe, explained the reasoning for the change in a prepared statement.
The change in name and approach will include new programming and social offerings there, such as weekly craft cocktail happy hours, a roving bar cart and upscale concierge services for client meetings, speaker and dinner series and the coordination of client business travel.
The change is also expected to soon include a new restaurant in the works in the buildings first floor that will add to the service offerings of the club’s membership.